Thursday, September 13, 2012

What is your proudest health or fitness related accomplishment?

I think here there can be no doubt.  It was dropping 80 pounds and in the process gaining a whole new perspective on my life and life in general.

I was a happy guy while big.  I played hockey still, I did karate still but I was doing those things at a level down here (you have to imagine me holding my hand down low and waving it a bit).  Now I do those things and so much more and it’s at a level that is way up here (again imagine me holding my hand over my head and doing that little wave thing).

It was this one accomplishment that has allowed me to make possible everything else that has followed.  I couldn’t have got my Black Belt, run races, got the most improved player award at hockey without first having lost all that weight.

I have come to realize in the last little while though that it’s not really the weight loss that was the accomplishment, it was the change in attitude toward food, spare time and life in general that was the achievement and the reward.

8 comments:

  1. Please bottle some of that and share among friends.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lost at least 120 Lbs. I don't know the actual number. It is hard to find a scale that will go above 450. That isn't my biggest accomplishment. For 4 years I have had varying levels of pain. It makes for a long tiring day every day. I am the most proud of myself for getting up and keeping moving even when I don't have to and nobody is looking. Even when I have doubts that I can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Having the drive to improve come from within, and in the face of difficulty is a great thing. So many people would use that as an excuse to do nothing.

      Delete
    2. Cindy those are very inspiring words. As a nurse I come in contact with so many people who suffer from chronic pain. I truly hope that you are experiencing less and less pain as you lose weight and become more active. Congratulations on your achievements!

      Delete
  3. What an awesome story. That change is attitude is definitely something to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not resist commenting. Perfectly written!
    Feel free to surf my web blog pall mall online shop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Attitude change is everything. Right now my biggest fitness related accomplishment is that I have made fitness a daily part of my life. I workout because I love how it makes me feel both physically and mentally. It's no longer something I have to do to lose weight. It's a part of my life that is here to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great! Attitude is the biggest factor in everything, isn't it?

    Here's my post: http://sheslosingit.net/2012/09/14/blogger-challenge-13-trophy-wife/

    Lisa
    http://sheslosingit.net

    ReplyDelete