Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Apparently 200 Metres Is A Big Deal

It turns out that really I have been running at a pace that has me at a 5k in less than 23 minutes for a long time now really.  Today I ran the Kms For Care 5k route after work and completed the course in 22 minutes and 59 seconds which is my fasted 5k time ever out on the road.

So that sort of answers the question I had about the treadmill being a liar.  He kind of is, but not too much since my back was killing me and I was feeling a little bit crappy, I’m sure there is room for improvement.

Oh yeah about the title, see the route I run here around the house is actually 5.2k which is not that much longer than 5k, but it is at the same time.  200 Metres is about the length of two football fields, and I have been running that route at about a speed of 13.26km/h when all that is needed to break the 5k in 23 minutes barrier is a speed of about 13.05km/h. 

Which I suppose, means that I should be comparing apples to apples, and not apples to, um, apples with a 200 metre stem attached to them if I am going to figure out if I can get 5k to under 20 minutes or not.

Anyway, back to the main point, out on the street I have now measured a 5k run twice, once at the gym and once on the race route and the time has gone from 24:21 down to 22:59 in two weeks.  Think I can take that down to 20 minutes?  I think it is plausible, we will see.

Don’t forget to click the link up there at the top and support my run for community care.

No comments:

Post a Comment