Saturday, July 2, 2011

A New Career

A couple of months ago I blogged about having new jobs, those new jobs have given way to a new career that starts on Monday.  I’m quite pleased about the way it all turned out really.  Having the supply jobs with three different companies gave me the opportunity to see my options in depth, and the ability to make an informed choice.

Child care is not the kind of job where you want to settle for any position I think.  If this were my first time in the working world my opinion might be different but since this is actually my second career I was already aware of the type of things that keep me happy at work.

A good and positive atmosphere and enjoyable people are the main things that I need at a workplace.  In this instance I have more than just my co-workers to provide that to me, also the children that I will be around and helping on their journey to learn and grow.  I expect this career to be very rewarding and fulfilling even if it is draining from time to time.

Some of you might be wondering why I make the distinction of ‘job’ and ‘career’.  To me a ‘job’ is something like working at the gas station, or tutoring at the college, you get part time hours and the expected amount of pay that goes along with doing something that anyone can do.  A ‘job’ is not specialized, very little of one’s full potential is used and the money that comes from it is enough to scrape by by the skin of your teeth.  A ‘career’ to me, is something that requires training, either some sort of apprenticeship, education or hours upon hours of dedication to do well.  You get paid well enough that if you live responsibly you have some extra money to spend and it’s something that you might spend some time on while you are not getting paid so that you can either do better, or make it even more enjoyable when you are there.

I’m very excited about this new career I’m about to begin, two years of college and now two months of supply work have prepared me as well as they were ever going to.  I’m quite certain there will be many learning opportunities along the way for me in the weeks, months and years to come, but really if I can do this well enough, everyday I should be able to learn by playing, how many people get to say that when they are over 30?

No comments:

Post a Comment