Thursday, February 17, 2011

Injuries Part II

Injuries Part I can be found here.

I firmly believe there are two types of injuries, and I don’t mean severe and minor.  The two types are Hilarious and Cringe-worthy.  Allow me to demonstrate.

Hilarious:

Cringe-worthy: at 0:40 – seriously it’s gross – you’ve been warned

Thankfully none of my injuries have been as gruesome as that guys leg, and really most of them fall into the Hilarious category, especially in hindsight.

The Ankle

One that was definitely not funny was when I snapped my ankle.  It was during my first time through college and I had signed up to play intramural hockey.  I thought it would be a good idea to go to the pay as you play a few times to get a few games under my belt before the Fleming season started, and yes, typically that would have been a great idea.  This day not so much.  Now at the time I had a used pair of skates when I got them and then I had used them for about six years, so these skates were well worn and offered little support to my ankles, which if you’ve read the hockey post you’ll know was a bad thing at the time.

We had played about half the game when Mike and I were dashing towards the opponent’s goal, Me on the right wing and Mike on the left.  I was flying and then screeching to a halt at the mouth of the goal in hopes of a pass to I could tap in a nice goal.  However, on my right foot I lost the edge as I was supposed to be slowing down.  My feet slipped out from under me and I crashed into the boards feet first.  My right ankle didn’t take to this too well and it snapped over to the inside.  I laid on the ice and apologised to the guys standing over me for delaying the game. After a few minutes a couple of the regulars that I knew helped me off and the ambulance came.  I was on crutches for about 3 weeks I think, though at home I chose to crawl around because I had no idea how to use crutches properly and they were hurting me so badly.

Out Cold

I believe I have only been knocked out once, at least for any length of time.  I was when I was in grade five.  At lunch recess one day we were on the swings at school, the swings were fairly large with the big A frame structure.  I was fun at the time to get going really high on the swings and then ‘go twisty’ which is you’d start to leverage the chains in opposite directions so that you’d do all over the place as you sung back and forth.

So I’m doing this and really reefing on the chains and leaning back on the swing, it was awesome, until it was painful.  BAM I smacked the back of my head on the A frame of the swing set.  I was out for a bit at least because I don’t remember hitting the ground, but I do remember everyone crowded around me on the ground. 

I’m pretty sure I got to go home early that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment