Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Batman

It should be no surprise to anyone that knows me that Batman is my favourite hero.  I grew up with Batman on TV and in movies.  Sure Superman has been around too but I never really jumped on the bandwagon for him.  For me it was Batman all the way.

I think part of that appeal was that Bruce Wayne is, in essence, just a man.  He’s not an alien from another world, he hasn’t been exposed to gamma rays, or a spider bite.  He’s a man with a mission and a bit of a chip on his shoulder about his parents being murdered.

I made it most of the way through a 30-day photo challenge a while ago until I got bored with it due to some of the topics for the photos late in the challenge, but one of them was:  A picture of someone who inspires you.

I posted this picture:

57104_479235117400_512347400_6273022_4636324_o

Pete noted that he was in awesome company.  I agree, though my feeling is that Batman is in awesome company.  It might sound ridiculous to include a fictional character in a picture of ‘people that inspire you’ but what can I say, The Batman is pretty awesome. The other two dudes have had a far larger influence on my life in general though, when (if) I grow up, I’d like to be a mix of the two I think.

Way back in the summer of 2010 when I began my training programs to build myself to what I am currently I told Jodi, with a straight face, “We’re not creating The Hulk here, we are making Batman.”  She laughed at that, I did after I had said it too, but I was serious.  I didn’t want to loose all the weight I did and do nothing with what was left of me, but I didn’t want to become some huge lumbering muscled beast either.

I knew the types of physical trials I was about to face in going for my black belt grading and if I was to get through them, I’d have to be in peak physical condition.  To that end I worked my butt off and got in shape as I discussed yesterday.  Long before the actual day I had chosen the shirts I would wear at my grading (shirts because I assumed I would sweat through the first one by the end of the warm up.  I was right).

By the mid way point of the grading I changed my shirt and I have continued to wear that shirt ever since under my Gi top at karate.

batmanshirt

People get inspiration from different things or people.  And while I never looked down at my shirt and felt ‘I’m Batman!’ at any point It was more what it represented to me.  It represented strong character, fortitude and an unwavering mission.

1 comment:

  1. Trust me ladies, he could pass for Batman.

    ReplyDelete