Thursday, November 18, 2010

It Builds Character

Whether I realized it or not as I was growing up I know now that I was often put into situations or tasks at home that if asked now I would say 'that builds character'.  This is a phrase that I'm not sure I ever actually heard my dad say.  I know it was in a whole bunch of Calvin and Hobbes comic strips though whenever Calvin would be 'forced' to do something he didn't want to do.

For instance.  I was my job to shovel at least 1/2 the driveway (and we had a long driveway).  I didn't even drive at the time!  But I wanted to be driven places (since NOTHING was within walking distance of the middle of nowhere living outside Buckhorn).  If I wanted to have a few extra dollars to buy a movie or something I had to split wood, which at the time I was not that fond of, but it had to be done and it was one of those lessons that if you want something you have to work for it - because it builds character.

When you become an adult you end up having a bit more of a choice whether to take part in tasks that build character, because usually those things are difficult in some way and you can choose to avoid them.  I can see now the wisdom of putting me up while still a white belt to stretch out the class for the first time, and lead warm ups so early on, because it has helped me reach the position I have entered into.  I can see now why it was important that I worked for the things I desired to have as a teenager. I can see why I had to make some huge changes in lifestyle to get many of the things i have gotten in the last little while.

I see many people at school and karate (because those are the two places I am at the most) choose to avoid adversity, to take easier paths, and a relatively small number choose to take the chance to build character and utilize it.  The next time you think 'oh man, this is going to be hard!'  Take the challenge head on, apply yourself, don't submit to thinking that you can't do something even before you try - it builds character.

1 comment:

  1. I just read this as I start my day...avoiding adversity...You're making me question myself again Chris. I like that. Or rather, I don't like it at all, which is good. :)

    ReplyDelete